mas·cu·lin·i·ty | \ ˌma-skyə-ˈli-nə-tē \ Definition of masculinity
- the quality or nature of the male sex : the quality, state, or degree of being masculine or manly
tox·ic | \ ˈtäk-sik \ – Definition of toxic
- containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing death or serious debilitation
- exhibiting symptoms of infection or toxicosis
- extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful
- relating to or being an asset that has lost so much value that it cannot be sold on the market
bib·li·cal | \ ˈbi-bli-kəl \ – Definition of biblical
- of, relating to, or being in accord with the Bible
- suggestive of the Bible or Bible times
What’s your definition of a man?
- greed (Hebrews 13:5)
- promiscuity (Romans 13:13)
- selfishness (Philippians 2:3)
- arrogance (Romans 12:3)
- vengeance (Romans 12:19)
1 Peter 5:1-11
1So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: 2shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; 3not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. 4And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 5Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 8Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
A man that has toxic masculinity:
- Does not know the word of God
- Does not obey God’s commandments
- greedy, promiscuous, selfish, arrogant, vengeful
- openness (Galatians 6:2)
- gentleness (Galatians 5:22–23)
- peace (Romans 12:18)
- strength (Ephesians 6:10)
- bravery (1 Corinthians 16:13)
- respectability (Titus 2:7; 1 Timothy 3:7)
- boldness (Ephesians 3:12; Titus 2:15)
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
27So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
28And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. 30And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
9Besides being wise, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging many proverbs with great care. 10The Preacher sought to find words of delight, and uprightly he wrote words of truth.
11 The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. 12My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
13The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.
A man that has biblical masculinity:
- Knows the word of God
- Knows that he is made in God’s image
- Knows that he is blessed by God
- Knows that God gave man dominion
- Knows that he is to be fruitful and multiply
- Fears God
- Keeps God’s commandments
The ultimate man – the Son of Man – Jesus
- Unafraid to show His emotions – Jesus wept (John 11:35)
- Protection – zeal for His Father’s house (John 2:13–16)
- Care and Provision – feeding the five thousand (John 6:5–13)
- Compassion – moved by pity he healed (Mark 1:40–41)
- Sensitivity – embraces the moment, the underlying (Luke 10:38–42)
- Forgiveness – forgiveness of sins (Luke 7:44–50)
- Humility – washing the disciple’s feet (John 13:1–16)
- Bravery – not my will, but Yours (Mark 11:15–18; Luke 22:39–46)
- Righteous confrontation – woes of the pharisees (Matthew 23:13–36)
- Proper judgment – woman at the well (John 4:15–18)
- Boisterousness – proclaims himself living water (John 7:37)
- Self-control – temptation of Satan (Matthew 4:1–11)
- Playfulness – Nathanael (John 1:47–48)
Do you know what the Bible says about being a man?
Do you read your Bible?
Do you ask God to show you how to be masculine?
Do you exhibit traits of toxic or biblical masculinity?
Is toxic masculinity a biblical concept?
We are a Bible teaching Christian church in Peoria, AZ. We love God and teach His Truth. We invite you, your family and friends to join us on the faith journey, growing closer to one another, the Christian community of believers at Reunion, and most importantly with God. Read more about the timeless Truth we build our lives and faith in Christ on HERE.
We are conveniently located just off the 101 on 83rd Ave and Cactus Rd. Join us on Sunday mornings, Weds. evenings, and throughout the week at our small groups, meeting in homes around the Valley, including Surprise, Glendale, Peoria, Phoenix, Goodyear, Litchfield, and more. Connect with us on Facebook and watch our live streaming service on YouTube.